SVN Plug-in for TextMate

Download it here. Simply extract and double click the SVNMate.tmplugin to install it into TextMate (you’ll need to restart TextMate for it to load).

Update: There is a problem with this plug-in right now and I forgot to remove the download link, apologies to anyone who’s been trying to get it work. In short, the problem is that it requires the Subversion libraries, but they can’t always be found. I’m trying to get them linked statically with the plug-in instead (so that the libraries are included). I’ll post an update or an alternate fix soon.

Update: After much blood, sweat and tears I’ve finally got a statically linked Universal build. I hope :) The download link above is back up, and is the new version. If you experience any problems with the new build (or if you don’t!), drop me a comment below.

44 Responses to “SVN Plug-in for TextMate”

1. on 12 Oct 2007 at 1:00 pmJohn Y

Doesn’t work for me — I get this:

2007-10-12 12:55:07.841 TextMate[13820] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/username/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/SVNMate for bundle /Users/username/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin, error code 4 (link edit error code 4, error number 0 (Library not loaded: /usr/local/apr/lib/libapr-1.0.dylib Referenced from: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/SVNMate Reason: image not found)) 2007-10-12 12:55:07.841 TextMate[13820] instance SVNMate plug-in has no principal class

My libapr appears to be 0.0.9.7 (running 10.4.10 — you’re not on a developer build of OS X with more recent libs, are you?)

But it looks really useful apart from that small problem :)

2. on 12 Oct 2007 at 1:22 pmAlan Schmitt

Unfortunately it does not work here. Should there be other things to install? Here is what console.log says:

2007-10-12 14:19:21.400 TextMate[14833] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/schmitta/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/SVNMate for bundle /Users/schmitta/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin, error code 4 (link edit error code 4, error number 0 (Library not loaded: /usr/local/apr/lib/libapr-1.0.dylib Referenced from: /Users/schmitta/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/SVNMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/SVNMate Reason: image not found)) 2007-10-12 14:19:21.400 TextMate[14833] instance SVNMate plug-in has no principal class

3. on 12 Oct 2007 at 2:01 pmshrek

I’ve installed the plugin but the preference pane isn’t showing. Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

4. on 12 Oct 2007 at 2:07 pmSimone D.

Hi, i tryed your plugin but i can’t see SVNMate in my preferences. Need i to do anything to activate it? I have thelatest version (cutting-edge).

Thanks! :)

5. on 12 Oct 2007 at 2:28 pmMike

Ciarán,

Will this plugin only work with the latest ‘bleeding edge’ version of Text Mate? I’m running 1.5.6 (1405) and can’t seem to get the plugin to show up in my Preferences window.

Is there something special that needs to be done to enable the plugin?

Thanks, Mike

6. on 12 Oct 2007 at 3:55 pmSean

Hi, this looks great. However it seems to be hardcoded to look for libapr in /usr/local/lib where I have svn installed via MacPorts and so in /opt/local. Is there anything straightforward that can be done about this, or am I best off just kludging it with symbolic links?

Thanks!

7. on 12 Oct 2007 at 4:20 pmSpike

Your screenshot seems to indicate some sort of extension to the main Preferences panel. I see nothing similar here. Am I missing something?

8. on 12 Oct 2007 at 8:28 pmSean

Just a follow-up note to say I made symbolic links to all the svn libraries in /usr/local/lib and the plugin works great – very useful. I agree though that statically linking will make for a hassle-free install.

9. on 13 Oct 2007 at 8:05 amAlan Schmitt

Statically linking would be great: I searched for libapr on my system and could not find it (I’m using this Martin Ott’s subversion package, http://homepage.mac.com/martinott/).

10. on 13 Oct 2007 at 8:50 amshrek

Awesome, new version works, thanks!

Just a thought, might be nice to have icon overlays like “TortoiseSVN” does on windows, current way isn’t the nice eye-candy Mac OS X way ;)

11. on 13 Oct 2007 at 9:09 amCiarán

The current implementation is certainly not very pretty and I do plan to do something about it – the icons are only 16×16 though so there is not much room. Perhaps I could use the TortoiseSVN icons, I’ll have to check the license.

12. on 13 Oct 2007 at 10:55 amAlan Schmitt

It’s working much better, but it’s telling me the main folder of the project is unversioned. (It works with the files inside, I just don’t understand why it’s telling me the folder is unversioned.)

Thanks for this great plugin, it’s going to be amazingly useful.

13. on 16 Oct 2007 at 3:52 amMikel Lindsaar (raasdnil)

Works great here, thanks heaps!

14. on 16 Oct 2007 at 12:28 pmSpiros Denaxas

Worked fine for me, TextMate 1.5.6 (1405)

Thanks :-)

15. on 19 Oct 2007 at 11:44 pmMichael Jackson

Awesome plugin. Thanks!

16. on 20 Oct 2007 at 5:48 pmBill Orcutt

Seems to work fine here- TextMate 1.5.6 (1405)

Thanks

17. [...] SVN Plug-in for TextMate [...]

18. on 27 Oct 2007 at 8:33 amatribut957

1000

19. on 31 Oct 2007 at 10:01 amThomas Aylott

Pure. Awesomeness.

Any chance the triangles are editable?

20. on 31 Oct 2007 at 3:50 pmCiarán

The triangles are drawn programatically. But if you want to make some nicer overlays I’d be happy to use them.

21. on 06 Nov 2007 at 11:49 amFred

Is it possible to do a refresh after an svn transaction on the project? When I do a commit the changed files are shown as modified by SVNMate. When I select a file in the project drawer the icon is updated and removed. Very nice tool though, Use it every day.

22. on 15 Nov 2007 at 3:08 pmDamien

Awesome. I’d gotten an older download that didn’t work, but the current build is great! Thanks Ciaran.

23. on 27 Nov 2007 at 11:39 amThiago L. Christofoletti

Ciarán, this is a great idea :) Unfortunately the plugin isn’t working well here. I’m using the latest TextMate version (downloaded yesterday) on Leopard. Almost all the files and folders are not showing the overlay icon. Any sugestions? If I can’t fix it, how do I uninstall the plugin? Thanks a lot!

24. on 27 Nov 2007 at 11:58 amThiago L. Christofoletti

Ciarán, just discovered more about the “issue” :) In fact the plugin is working on my machine. But as I have two distinct folders (with distinct svn sources) within the same TextMate project, the plugin only works (shows the overlay icons) with one of them. Is it an expected behavior or a bug? Hope that it helped to clarify my above comment. And sorry for my english :)

25. on 27 Nov 2007 at 12:19 pmThiago L. Christofoletti

Wow… The mistery is solved! That isn’t a plugin issue. The problem is more probably a TextMate/Subversion issue. Just noted that because there was a file with accented character (idéias.txt) the hole thing not works properly. Arghhh… 2007 and accented characters are still bringing problems! :( Sorry for all the useless comments! And thanks for the plugin, it’s great! ;)

26. on 12 Dec 2007 at 5:03 pmTuk

Thanks, it works perfectly :) .

You are a hero!

27. on 19 Dec 2007 at 12:49 pmTom

Great!

28. on 27 Dec 2007 at 4:16 pmLegege

Really great!

29. on 27 Dec 2007 at 4:23 pmLegege

However, could you please fix the accented characters problem?

30. on 31 Dec 2007 at 6:24 amSammy

Thanks I’ve been looking for something like this for a while. That said… don’t you think it would be a good idea to make the status of a directory show as modified (not green) if any files or directories within any of it’s subdirectories are changed?

ie. If i have a folder

Parentdir parentfile.rb Childdir childfile.rb

If I modify chidfile, parent dir shouldn’t be green.

Cheers.

31. on 02 Apr 2008 at 11:22 pmToby

Magically delicious. Any chance that the overlays could also appear on folders? Even without that feature, this is swell – thanks much! -T.

32. on 24 Jun 2008 at 2:33 amJesse Knowles

Wow, this has made my day. I’m torn between bookmar, modern or xpstyle. This was just about as big of a find as it was when I found subversion for Textmate. Nice work.

33. on 02 Jul 2008 at 6:45 pmrobert

Hi, really looks good, but seems to have problems with working copies touched by svn client 1.5 – no indicators are shown at all.

Any plans on updating?

Thanks.

34. on 07 Jul 2008 at 3:22 pmneil

Same issue as Robert – once I upgraded to Subversion 1.5 all of the file indicators disappeared.

35. on 13 Jul 2008 at 4:07 pmAntonin

Same problem here. Updated to svn 1.5 via macports.

36. on 14 Jul 2008 at 11:31 amCiarán

Hi all,

I’m working on getting the new svn libs set up so I can use them the way I need to, I’m having some weird issues with the APR stuff at the moment which I’m not sure how to solve, but I’m working on it. As soon as I get it sorted then I’ll post a new version.

Ciarán

37. [...] It reminds me of TortoiseSVN for Windows (a great tool, btw), so if you use Textmate and SVN I recommend you take a look at SVNMate. [...]

38. on 28 Jul 2008 at 11:09 pmKirk

Awesome plugin… any news on it working with svn 1.5?

39. on 30 Jul 2008 at 8:23 pmCiarán

I just posted an update to SVNMate to support working copies which have been used with SVN 1.5, see the post here.

40. on 05 Sep 2008 at 5:42 amBen

Awesome plugin, highly useful. Only thing it’s missing for my “ideal implementation” is similar to Toby’s request above, “Any chance that the overlays could also appear on folders?” — Looks like assuming a hierarchy: projectsDir->folder->subfolder->item that the item and subfolder icon get the ‘file modified’ overlay, but folder and projectsDir keep the “versioned” / unmodified icon, which makes it hard to find modified items in subfolders when Textmate opens the project as the folders are collapsed by default.

Still, excellent plugin and I’m loving it already. Have a cup o’ Joe on me. Cheers!

41. on 02 Oct 2008 at 11:10 amSpen

This plug-in has been the niftiest addition to my Textmate workflow. However, yesterday it stopped allowing me to Add or Commit anything to the Repository. The correct icons appear, but I get the following message:

‘No files modified; nothing to commit.’ This occurs immediately after I have altered a file.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Spen

42. [...] このサイトのdownload it hereのところにプラグインがあるので、インストールしてください。 [...]

43. [...] Ciarán Walsh’s Blog » SVN Plug-in for TextMate ciaranwal.sh/2007/10/10/svn-plug-in-for-textmate – view page – cached Here’s a plug-in for TextMate which indicates the Subversion status of files in your project drawer. — From the page [...]