ReMate Update

ReMate is a TextMate plugin which can be used to disable the automatic project tree refresh when the application regains focus (for using SSH-FS etc.).

This version works differently:

• There is now a Configure ReMate option found on the Window menu – this lists volume names with a checkbox next to each for enabling/disabling automatic refreshing for projects in that volume. A volume will be added to the list the first time a project is created from files on it (i.e. /Volumes/Volume Name); automatic refreshing is disabled for new volumes by default.

• You can refresh an individual project manually by clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the project drawer and selecting “Refresh Project Files”

• This version is a Universal build

Download here, extract it and double-click to install.

Thanks to Tobias Muellerleile for testing.

44 Responses to “ReMate Update”

1. on 08 Nov 2007 at 3:17 pmAndrew

Thanks! This has beautifully fixed my #1 complaint with TextMate. Where can I donate?

2. on 08 Nov 2007 at 3:39 pmCiarán

Wow, I’d not even thought of that. I added a button to the sidebar – thanks a lot if you donate!

3. on 09 Nov 2007 at 11:17 pmJonathan Christopher

Oh wow this really helps with the single complaint I’ve had with TextMate — thanks so much!

4. on 14 Nov 2007 at 6:41 pmJonathan Christopher

After installing this plugin, I’m no longer able to create a new TextMate project — is there a way to get around this? Thanks for your hard work!

5. on 17 Nov 2007 at 7:25 amMichael Newton

Same problem here, I can no longer create a new project. I’d suggest anytime a project is opened it get added to the list…

Using Version 1.5.7 (1436) on 10.4.11

6. on 18 Nov 2007 at 4:23 amCiarán

I sent a fixed version to Jonathon for him to try but I’ve not heard back from him, but the download link in the original post is now the updated version – it should fix the problem.

In case you don’t know, there are generally better ways to make new projects if you are working with existing files. You can drag folders or files from Finder onto the TM dock icon or you can use the mate command from Terminal – e.g. mate . makes a new project with the current directory).

7. on 22 Nov 2007 at 8:37 pmFrançois Lavigne

I have issues with the plug-in. In the first version, the options were not added in the window menu nor the drawer. In this version, I have only “Configure ReMate” in the window menu. Any ideas?

8. on 23 Nov 2007 at 7:35 pmFrançois Lavigne

Ok, went the command disapear, I have to restart Textmate and they reapear. I’m not sure why or when it happens, just so you know.

9. on 28 Nov 2007 at 11:24 amJeremy

Same problem as above – can’t create new project. I have a new option in the menu “configure remate” and a “volume dialog” appears, but I can’t do anything in it and no mounted volumes appear. I’m running 1.5.7 on Intel. Hope you can fix this because I love this plugin, can’t use Textmate w/o it. Thanks for your work!

10. on 28 Nov 2007 at 5:18 pmCiarán

Jeremy: That should be fixed now – please try downloading the plug-in again and then see if you still have the problem.

11. on 28 Nov 2007 at 6:20 pmDave Dash

I had to revert to an older version since I had the same issue as Jeremy.

12. on 30 Nov 2007 at 9:13 pmCiarán

Dave: did you re-download it after I posted above?

13. on 03 Dec 2007 at 4:33 pmjeremy

Installed the new version. Seems to work now! Wee! After I installed, however, I couldn’t bring up the “Configure remate” dialog. I had to quit Textmate and then start it again – then it worked. Maybe this is the same for all plugins? Well.. not a biggie. What also would be great is to be able to save the remate “status” with the project or just with Textmate config, so that I can start textmate with a project file and not have to refresh even the first time. Maybe this isn’t possible, because if I open a project when the ssh drive isn’t mounted, Textmate doesn’t show the project files, only the “root drawer”. So even if I first open project, then mount the ssh drive this doesn’t seem to work. But thanks again! You’re a lifesaver :)

14. on 03 Dec 2007 at 6:12 pmjeremy

Hmm, another strange thing is that “Refresh Project Files” disappear sometimes. I don’t know when this happens. I use projects by dragging a directory from my sshfs-mount to the project drawer if that could be a clue. Cheers!

15. on 12 Dec 2007 at 11:22 amjames

Tiger 10.4.11 Textmate 1.5.7 and this plugin doesn’t list my server drive in the configure window – it’s just blank all the time.

I’ve reinstalled the plugin, restarted Textmate mutliple times. I’ve created new projects on that drive and everything. That window never lists anything.

The drive is mounted as /Volumes/ if it’s of any help.

Pity right now, it takes forever to regain focus :(

16. on 13 Dec 2007 at 8:05 pmDave Dash

Okay… so I do have it working and the /Volumes/drive is unchecked… but now it beach balls on refocus. I wonder if theirs a way we could see what TM is thinking.

17. on 13 Dec 2007 at 8:08 pmDave Dash

Oh wait…

I know why I had a problem with this… my delicious project is actually on my local machine, the files are on the other server. I don’t suppose there is a way to disable refreshing per project?

18. on 19 Dec 2007 at 6:02 amAman Gupta

Thanks for Remate.. could you update the link at http://ciaranwal.sh/remate/ as well?

19. on 20 Dec 2007 at 7:15 pmMichael Newton

Textmate 1.5.7 (1436) and OS X 10.4.11, I’m not seeing anything in the Window menu when I have a project open.

Like Dave in comment 17, I have the project on my local PC referring to files on a remote server. Would this prevent display of the menu item altogether?

20. on 31 Jan 2008 at 7:12 amWill Prater

Great work. OS X seems to look for all the hidden files on the WebDAV server, this creates a lot of extra PROPFIND checks when bringing textmate in/out of focus. This causes similar delays to the drawer refreshing issue you have fixed. Any idea?

The files its trying to find are ./Contents, ._Filename, .svn etc.

Any ideas?

21. on 05 Mar 2008 at 8:45 amJames

Hi, I can’t get my mounted volumes to show up in the dialog box either…even after I create projects from files on those drives and even saved the projects to those volumes. The dialog is empty, without even my Macintosh HD, or my Windows boot camp volumes, not to mention the ones I added via MacFUSE. Any clues?

22. on 19 Mar 2008 at 12:34 amStephen

Yeah I have exactly the same issue, none of my volumes show up

23. on 09 Apr 2008 at 4:19 pmChris Nolan.ca

So I guess this is no longer supported? People have been reporting it not working in the comments for a couple of months now?

I thought I’d try going to the original version and see if that worked but it didn’t seem to help. Also both seem to be labeled as version 1 so I’m not sure if they are even different?

Would really like to still use TextMate but I’m going to have to look for alternatives if I can’t get a work around :-(

24. on 03 Jun 2008 at 7:00 pmscott

yup, not working for me either. But would love to see a solution posted here. :)

Anyone?

25. on 12 Jun 2008 at 2:38 amRobert

Just what I’ve been looking for! Seems to work happily with the latest release of TextMate 1.5.7 (1436). One problem that may need investigation is the project drawer doesn’t display correctly if the “MissingDrawer” plugin is installed.

I’d be nice to see them both working together but for now I’m happy to have the old drawer back to keep ReMate happy :)

Cheers Ciarán!

26. on 08 Oct 2008 at 11:12 pmDru

Oh, yeah, this is spectacular! Thanks…

Just a niggly little thing – the OK button in the “Window” doesn’t move horizontally with the window resize like I’d expect it to. Not to mention that the window title is just “Window.”

If anyone else is bugged by this, you can do the following until this gets rolled into the download (need to have Interface Builder installed).

1. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns
    2. Right-click on ReMate.tmplugin
    3. Choose “Show Package Contents”
    4. Navigate to ./Contents/Resources/
    5. Open Configure.nib
    6. In Interface Builder, click on the “OK” button
    7. Press Command-3
    8. In the size inspector, click on the left-most line in the “autosize” panel
    9. Click anywhere in the window that’s not on the button or the table view
    10. Press Command-1
    11. In the Window Title: text field, type whatever you want (I was highly original and typed “ReMate”)
    12. Save the .nib
    13. Relaunch TextMate.

I just realized, after typing all of that up, that I’m on Tiger, so I don’t know how different the process will be under Leopard’s Interface Builder 3.

27. on 21 Nov 2008 at 11:48 amkilian

hi! i’e just installed the remate plug-in but in configure window i don’t see any of my samba share. Textmate still refresh the entire rpoject on project.. this is driveing me crazy ….

28. on 27 Jan 2009 at 11:46 amTom P

Thank you. I suspect this will increase my lifespan by several years…

Tom

29. on 21 Feb 2009 at 8:14 pmBart van Bragt

This is great! I do all my development remotely over sshfs which was just not workable with the default TextMate setup. This plugin really saved the day. Donated :)

30. on 06 Apr 2009 at 6:15 pmAM

Just found this. This is fantastic.

31. [...] updated version of ReMate will disable automatic refresh for specific mounted volumes and is designed for those editing files [...]

32. on 08 Sep 2009 at 3:35 pmEinar

after latest TM update [1.5.8.(1509)] ReMate does not seem to work properly. I’m using SFTP over DSL and TM hangs several seconds when gaining focus. It worked wonderfully before. I’m now used to have my complete projects at hand in Project+ and not quite ready to split them up into smaller units for faster update. Can we expect an update to ReMate?

33. on 28 Sep 2009 at 10:35 pmEnrique Delgado

Yeah, I have the same issue. The Window -> “Configure Remate” dialog is empty most of the time.

Though sometimes when I try opening the dialog again, I can actually see the volumes.

34. on 26 Oct 2009 at 5:10 pmDavid

I just installed ReMate and am having the same problem as described by Enrique and Einar. I am opening a file over a Samba share over a VPN. The volume is not showing up in the Window > Configure ReMate dialog, and when I give focus to TextMate, it still has a long delay.

Any chance a fixed version will be out soon?

35. on 17 Nov 2009 at 4:13 amJY

In the same situation as David and I am having the exact same problem. On snow leopard 10.6.2, latest cutting edge release of textmate. Hopefully there will be an update soon, thanks!

36. on 17 Nov 2009 at 7:06 pmCarlos

I m having the same issue where TextMate just hangs and I can’t see the config in Congure Remate. Also on 10.6.2. Also now my textmate is SOOOO slow to just plain open up.

37. on 12 Jan 2010 at 12:41 amMark Carver

I am also haven’t the same issues described above: ReMate is installed and I can see the window, however no Volumes are listed in it. This has resulted in a long delay.

Specs: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540) TextMate Version 1.5.9 (1589)

38. on 12 Jan 2010 at 1:12 amMark Carver

Ok, so I just downloaded ProjectPlus and now ReMate seems to be working. Just for those of you who are having issues, possible solution?

39. on 14 Jan 2010 at 10:53 amClaus Bruun

Same issue. Empty Volume list in Configure ReMate.

Hoping for an update :-)

40. on 13 Feb 2010 at 1:56 amDallas

I was able to get ReMate working with both of my ExpanDrive volumes by opening up the textmate com.macromates.textmate.plist preferences file in the plist editor and manually adding my two volumes there.

The item in the plist is called ‘ReMate Volumes’ and it’s an Array containing a list of Dictionaries. Each dictionary has a string of ‘name’ with the name of the volume as the value and a boolean of ‘refreshIsDisabled’ that tracks whether or not refreshing is disabled for that volume.

In my case I had one volume showing but not the second so I added the second and it seems to work fine now. You want to edit the plist with textmate closed so it doesn’t overwrite it again.

41. on 28 Feb 2010 at 9:54 amuberVU - social comments

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by rodbegbie: @graysky http://bit.ly/ozBSz Absolutely essential….

42. on 18 May 2010 at 2:18 pmJeff

Will there be a fix for Snow Leopard?

thanks! –Jeff

43. on 28 May 2010 at 6:55 amAlex Le

Hi,

Thanks for making ReMate for Textmate. However, i’d like to find out if you can publish the source for the plugin? It’d be beneficial to everyone to be able to tweak this annoying refresh issue. Personally I’d like to make a few minor change to it, e.g. include a better menu item with assignable short cuts to refresh the project. It’s strange that ReMate2 is completely different from ReMate, and the “Refresh Project Files” isn’t included in any of the menu, eventhough assigning shortcut to it via the Keyboard shortcut is still an option.

Thanks,

Alex

44. on 21 Aug 2010 at 9:44 pmRené

Absolutely fantastic, I almost un-installed textmate for this annoyance. You should be crowned Textmate king ;-)

Thanks!!